FOOD HUB is a free food pantry initiative and support service for UTAS students who are experiencing food insecurity and require food relief in a dignified space. It’s your place for access to nutritious ingredients to fuel your studies and reach your full potential during these tough times!
The Ref is open Monday – Friday, 9am to 4pm; while FOOD HUB is open 11am to 2pm. We are open during UTAS holidays, however closed on public holidays.
– Register ahead of time
– Only register once a week, so others can register too
– Please bring your containers and bags to collect your free food
– Stay at home if you have flu or flu-like symptoms
Pick a day to access our FOOD HUB below:
Pre-registrations for each week opens at 6pm every Sunday on QPay. Each registration link is currently capped at 50 registrations to ensure that everyone gets access. Please register only ONCE per week.
About our FOOD HUB
On average, our Food Hub pantry has:
- Long life milk
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- A wide variety of non-perishable pantry items
- Tea & Coffee
*Please note that food available at Food Hub may vary as it’s dependent on availability.
How can you help / get involved?
WE’RE TAKING DONATIONS!
- Volunteer! Volunteers make it all happen, so fill out the FOOD HUB Volunteering form or e-mail us at email@example.com with an expression of interest today.
- If you’d like to make a food donation, please drop by at the Food Hub pantry during opening hours.
- We’d love monetary donations, big and small! Funds received will help us purchase supplies for our FOOD HUB. We’re working on an online donation platform, but gold coins are always welcomed.
Do you live further away from uni or not based in Hobart? Check out some alternatives at our Food Support page
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
All items and pantry won’t cost you anything, though registration for collection is essential. In 2023, TUSA is partnering with Tasmanian food rescue organisation Loaves & Fishes & Gateway Life for bread supply. This partnership allows TUSA to be a food redistributor and helps make food available free of charge.
Free bread will be displayed outside of the Food Hub after 2 pm, as well as some lockers outside for after-hours access. The Ref will be open Monday to Friday from 9 am to 4 pm. If you are in significant need, please reach out to our Student Advocacy Team and they will work with you to find food supports.