From time to time, you may find yourself struggling to buy food, pay rent, utilities, or manage various other debts. In such situations, a financial counsellor can assist you in understanding your options and help you regain stability. Financial counsellors offer a free, independent, and confidential service.
TUSA partners with Anglicare to provide free financial counselling to all UTAS students.
How can this service help me?
A financial counsellor can provide information on:
- Options for dealing with debt and negotiating with creditors
- Consumer rights and responsibilities
- Accessing superannuation
- Bankruptcy and alternatives to bankruptcy
- Referrals to appropriate legal services
- Money management, including budget strategies
Who is this service for?
This service is available to any student studying at the University of Tasmania.
This service is free and confidential.
How do I book?
To book an appointment, please fill out the form via the “Book Now” button below. We will then contact you to arrange an appointment and offer additional support if needed.
If you are experiencing financial hardship, don’t forget to explore our other pages in the Support section of the site. We offer assistance in various areas and can provide valuable help.
If you need support or would like to discuss your situation, please reach out to our Student Advocates.
UTAS Tax Clinic
The University of Tasmania operates a Tax Clinic that provides advice and information on taxation to assist students with lodging their tax returns or addressing more complex tax queries. Find out more and apply for assistance here.
Useful Links and Information
- MoneySmart: An excellent financial guidance website with extensive information on all aspects of finance.
- TrackMySPEND App: A handy app for budgeting and tracking expenses, available on your phone.
- No Interest Loan Scheme: Community lending options for Tasmanians, offering no interest micro-business, car care, household, education, medical, and dental loans.
- SaverPlus: A free ten-month savings program that provides financial education, budgeting tips, and matches participants’ savings up to $500 for education costs.
- Moving Beyond Financial Hardship: A video series produced by our partners Anglicare Tasmania that provides insight into common financial scenarios and how a financial counsellor can help.
Financial Counselling video series
We’ve teamed up with Anglicare Tasmania to provide free financial counseling to students at the University of Tasmania. As part of this service, they’ve put together a series of videos explaining various financial issues affecting students and how best to tackle them. Check out the three videos below on Renting, Energy Costs, and Credit.